Case study method appeared long ago, back in 1920 at Harvard, in order to facilitate the process of teaching students the basics of management and business. A case study helps a person learn how to use theory, detect problem areas, and find ways out of them. Want to know how to write a case study? Keep on reading to check the distinctive features of this type of writing and learn how to brainstorm creative solutions.
What is case study: A clear picture of it
A case study is defined as an extensive analysis of some situation or campaign, the identification of the problem, and the search for an effective solution. Students receive tasks, which do not have certain solutions. There are cases when even the problem itself is unclear. Therefore, you should first understand what is wrong there and creates imbalance, and only then draw up a plan for how to cope with this situation. Also, you need to provide arguments that your solution is really the best one.
How to write a case study analysis: First, learn the key goals
Before you learn how to write a case study analysis, find out why case study method is used in teaching. Let's consider the goals tutors pursue when assigning to write this kind of paper and what skills you'll gain:
- Increase the effectiveness of the learning process to make it more qualitative and efficient.
- Motivate students or staff to work.
- Teach working with information, quickly find the necessary material and process it in a quality manner.
- Make the process of getting education more attractive and interesting.
- Develop the ability to make an analysis of the problem and the correct conclusions.
- Teach to look at the situation under the prism of criticism and to question the opinion and point of view of even reputable people who know their business perfectly.
- Encourage the person to independently analyze their actions, control them and give an objective assessment.
If practicing in case study writing, you'll be able to defend your point of view and convey your ideas clearly.
3 main types of cases and their distinctive features
Consider what types of cases are and how they differ.
- Practical. They reflect the most accurate and real information. Usually, with their help, they model some historical course of events or a technical complexity which it is necessary to cope with. They are based on some reliable data, whether it is a preserved artifact or a record.
- Research. For example, a case includes some preserved materials of famous scientists, historians, artists, and so on. You need to reconstruct events on the basis of the data provided or develop some new way of presenting them. Suppose, when studying the fundamentals of economics, a teacher can acquaint students with information about local companies and firms, their success and business style.
- Educational. How to write a special education case study? In the process of finding a solution to a problem, students should look for information that will help them in this. You need to process a lot of material, which has a positive effect on the level of knowledge. It's true about cases where time is not limited and students have access to other sources.
How to write a case study paper: 7 steps you should make
Check how to write a case study report using a structured approach:
- Start with the introduction.
- Include an overview of the product/service/campaign.
- Identify the main issue.
- Brainstorm solutions.
- Choose the best solution.
- Tell about the advantages of the chosen solution.
- Summarize your ideas. Explain how exactly the company will benefit from the implementation of the offered solution.
Tips and tricks on how to write a business case study
So, how to write a situation analysis for a case study? There are certain things you should do before you submit a final variant of your case study paper.
- Examine the case. You're recommended to make notes, identifying the main issues.
- Answer the following questions: “Why have these problems appeared?” and “What influence do they have on the company's development?”
- Conduct careful research on how to deal with the problem successfully. Look for similar situations and expert recommendations. Use your own experience as well.
- Weigh all the pros and cons of every possible solution. Think of solid arguments, which will persuade that your solution is realistic.
- Don't forget to include your personal recommendations and explanations of benefits.
- Check your case study draft to make sure it is free from errors. Edit it if necessary.
- Make sure you have written a powerful thesis statement.
- Check how high-quality samples are formatted before you submit your case study.
How to write a case study example: A sample + effective solution
You can read a lot of guides on how to write a case study example but it is much more effective to have a sample in front of you. Check it below.
Case: The holding produces tractors, bulldozers, equipment for public utilities and the defense industry complex. Among the customers are enterprises from small developing countries. Competition in the market segment where the company operates is not very high. It would seem that after the devaluation of the currency, the company had a chance to increase output. But it all happened exactly the opposite. Imported components used in the assembly of machines have risen in price. The company did not have enough working capital to fulfill current orders. It didn't manage to get a new loan. The chain of problems has led to a reduction in production and personnel.
Questions: 1. What solutions do you offer? 2. How should these decisions be included in the overall development strategy of the holding?
Case study analysis:
“The analysis of the initial data allows us to conclude that the crisis in the machine-building holding is primarily internal in nature (managerial), and, secondarily, external. Despite the decrease in market capacity, the company was unable to cope with current contracts. The negative dynamics of the financial indicators of the holding was a consequence of the incompetence of the managerial level of the management company:
- the lack of timely adjustment of the strategic plan in response to changing market conditions,
- the absence of preemptive measures to ensure the sustainability of financial indicators,
- the decentralization of MC authority.
All this has led the company to payables, falling turnover and profitability, delayed wages, as well as the fact that each of the plants is trying to take control of the levers and independently look for ways out of the crisis situation.
In order to recover from the crisis, the holding should take general measures to reduce costs and stimulate consumer demand. These measures include a set of activities that can be divided into several stages and directions: management, strategy, resources, costs, competitiveness, image.
Special attention should be paid to explaining the current situation, difficulties and problems that the team has to solve, the importance of each employee, mobilization and the need for changes and reforms that will help out of the crisis. The anti-crisis team should adopt a new development strategy, divide responsibilities into key areas, and begin to create and implement a new plan.”
Now, you know how to write a business case study. Use this sample when you need to discuss a business case study.
Get professional help to pass your case study with flying colors
If you're puzzled not knowing how to write a case study in APA or how to write a medical case study, the best solution is to turn to experts. They will help you to learn how to write a diagnosis for a case study successfully. Getting professional advice, you'll get a clear picture of all the case study peculiarities. If you want to submit a flawless case study paper containing smart problem solutions, contact a reputable case study writer.